Friday, December 24, 2010

Maryland's Attempt at Portuguese Stuffed Quahogs

Right. No Portugeuse Products. Not the exact seafood we need. But cooking is all about improvising and using what you've got. I would say we passed with flying colors. Now I'm going to warn you. We made this recipe a while ago. It was amazing. I will tell you what we put in it, but the amounts, well. no. It's something you just need to eye. For some people (like my Mom. Love you Mom!), they need the exact amounts. We do not do that here in Casa de Greer. (I always know the answer to "Hey Justin, how much XXX did you put in this?" (usual answer: "I don't know. Until it tasted good.")


Ingredients we used:

Cherrystones (instead of Quahogs) (steam them in white wine and water until they open) Then take the meat out of the shell (keep the shell) and dice em up.
"Stale" Italian bread. (We used Italian sliced bread, toasted it, and then diced it up)
Chorizo (instead of Chourico), saute in peppers and onions
Garlic
Salt & Pepper
(I'm sure I'm missing something)

Once the chorizo, peppers & onions are done, incorporate everything together in a bowl. One thing this recipe "missed" was some spice. Use red pepper flakes or even cayenne pepper to taste. Stuffed quahogs are meant to be a little spicy. Clean out the shells so there's no grittiness. Fill the shell with the mixture. Bake on 350 for about 20 minutes (or when it begins to get crispy on top).

We made 6. Whether you make 6, 16, or 26, it will take the same amount of time. This would be a good appetizer course that you can basically make ahead. Pop it in the oven when guests start to arrive.

The quahog was an app for the scallops beurre blanc w/ mashed sweet potatoes. (This was probably one of the BEST meals we've made thus far. When I say we I mean Justin. He added spice to the sweet potatoes.  I will make him blog about this one) 

No comments:

Post a Comment