Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Orange "Brownies"

I guess a better description is orange "bars" but the consistency is like a good brownie.  This is a Paula Deen recipe I've made a few times.  I am inspired to blog about it as I am on vacation in Savannah.  Justin and I peered in to Lady & Sons yesterday, but decided to go to Sweet Melissa's across the street. Really. Good. Pizza. The crust is generously seasoned with herbs and spices  with the perfect combo of cheese & sauce. Lunch for the 2 of us was a whooping $10, and that included drinks and free cookies. 

I made these bars for Easter and our family & friends enjoyed them.  

Paula's name, for good or bad, is always synonymous with butter. Part of the reason I changed the recipe is because I morally can't put 2 sticks of butter in anything. I just can't! Also, I didn't have orange extract, so I kept it fresh. The result- a fresh, "light," dessert, good for spring and summer. (Although...you could make a chocolate ganache and put it on top for a good Christmas dessert)

Ingredients 

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick of butter, melted 
1/2 cup of Stoneyfield's fat free, french vanilla yogurt
4  eggs 
3- 4 teaspoons of fresh orange juice (I keep squeezing until I like the taste of the batter)
1- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
Glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice (I think I used 4 tbs AND 1tbs of skim milk)
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 13x9x2-inch pan with Pam with Flour.  Stir together flour, granulated sugar, and salt in a bowl; add butter, eggs, orange juice, and zest.  Using a handheld electric mixer, beat until well blended. (Although down in Savannah, I used a wire whisk and actually got a better texture. Not sure if it was because I used melted butter, instead of softened or the whisk.) Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until light golden brown and set.  Remove from oven and pierce entire cake with a fork.  For glaze, mix all ingredients together and stir until smooth.  I would continue to add orange juice and/or milk until it is a thin, pourable consistency. Pour glaze over cake.  Cool and cut into squares.
Damage done after Easter.
I like this picture because it shows the depth of the dessert.
Because you need to pierce it with a fork, it won't look polished.
I don't think the guests will mind.  



No comments:

Post a Comment