Friday, June 11, 2010

Georgia Peach Upside Down Cake

Justin's Mother just came back from Georgia with barbeque sauce from the awesome Wiley's Barbeque in Savannah, vidalia onions, tomatoes, and of course, peaches. Did we actually eat the peaches? Of course not. We made ice cream & cake.

Justin's Mom also gave me a journal so I can write out & figure out recipes.


 

           Crossing out as I go: 
















If you can't read my handwriting:

1/2 c soften butter
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
3 large eggs 
2/3 c milk
2 c flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 fresh peaches, peeled & dices
1/2 c yogurt
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice 

topping: 1/2 c brown sugar, 3 tbsp of melted butter, 1.5 tsp cinnamon with the peaches

Dry ingredients together. Milk. Add 1 egg at a time, using a hand mixer. Butter. Any other wet ingredient. (I usually do it in steps so I can taste the batter a few times so I get the taste I want) Pam a 9" circular pan. Put the topping on the bottom. Pour the batter on top. Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes. 


Final Product:




The circular shape in the middle was accidental. The batter pushed the peaches, so looks fancier, I think. I wish I had fat free cool whip to put in the center!

Why it's a work in progress: The taste is great, but I'm not thrilled with the consistency.  Almost too cakey or dense. I wanted a more light & fluffy cake. I need to start doing research on the chemistry of baking. Any suggestions? 

We are pairing this with the peach ice cream Justin made, which is excellent. Justin experimented with not adding any sugar so that diabetics in our life could enjoy a little ice cream live as well. 











No comments:

Post a Comment